This article explains how to create a persistent broadcast on YouTube. If you want to publish a temporary Live Event, please learn how to publish a Live Event on YouTube using a much easier method.
Unfortunately, our integrated YouTube Event Publisher can publish temporary events only. However, you can use a combination of YouTube Studio with the general-purpose Ozolio Publisher to start and manage a persistent broadcast.
Before publishing a live content on YouTube for the first time:
- Check the 'Event Publishing' prerequisites and requirements.
- Make sure the 'Live Streaming' feature is enabled on your YouTube channel.
STEP 1: Schedule a persistent live broadcast using YouTube Studio:
- In your YouTube home, click the logo at the top/right corner and select "YouTube Studio".
- In the YouTube Studio, click "CREATE", then "Go Live".
- In the Live Dashboard, select "Manage" and click "SCHEDULE STREAM".
- On the next dialog, click "CREATE NEW".
- Specify broadcast name, description, etc., and click "NEXT".
- Customize advanced options, and click "NEXT".
- Select the broadcast privacy, the start time, and click "DONE".
IMPORTANT: We strongly recommend that you set the start time to at least 5-15 min from now, otherwise some important broadcast options may not appear in the dashboard.
- In the "STREAM SETTINGS", click "Select stream key" and select "Create new stream key".
- Enter the new key name and click "CREATE"
- Make sure that the "Enable auto-start" and "Enable auto-stop" options are off.
IMPORTANT: This condition is very important for persistent streaming.
- Make sure that the "Stream latency" is set to "Normal latency".
- Copy "Stream Key", "Stream URL" and "Backup URL" and paste them into any text editor. You will need these parameters later.
- Do not close the YouTube Studio tab.
STEP 2: Create "Target URL" and "Backup URL" for the Ozolio Publisher.
In order to convert the information you copied from YouTube Studio into a format suitable for the Ozolio Publisher, you should merge both base URLs with the stream key via the forward-slash.
If you copied the following parameters from the YouTube Studio:
Stream Key: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Stream URL: rtmp://x.rtmp.youtube.com/live2
Backup URL: rtmp://y.rtmp.youtube.com/live2?backup=1
Then the information you need for the Ozolio Publisher is:
Target RTMP URL: rtmp://x.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Backup RTMP URL: rtmp://y.rtmp.youtube.com/live2?backup=1/xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
STEP 3: Create and start the Ozolio Publisher.
- Open a new tab and log in to your profile at https://clients.ozolio.com/login/
- Go to "PUBLISHERS" and click "CREATE PUBLISHER".
- On the next dialog box, enter the name, set the "Other" provider, and select the camera.
- In the Publisher Settings, set the Broadcast Type to "Persistent Feed", then click "SAVE CHANGES" and "CLOSE".
- Find the new publisher in the list and click "START BROADCAST".
- On the next dialog box, click "NEXT".
- On the next dialog box, enter "Target RTMP URL" and "Backup RTML URL", which you've created at STEP 2, and click "GO LIVE".
- If the broadcast has been started successfully, you will see the following message:
STEP 4: Start the broadcast on YouTube.
- Go back to the YouTube Studio tab.
- Make sure that the preview panel shows your live stream.
- Click the button "GO LIVE".
- Make sure that your persistent broadcast went online.
If you did not succeed with the method above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org